I quit my job last week.
Now that I’m embarking on this new chapter, I’m getting a little nostalgic. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super-excited about my new job. But you know what they say, “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” This job is actually the longest job I’ve had since I graduated from college. There’s a certain level of comfort that I am (happily) trading.
With that, I present to you “The Top Five Things I’m Going to Miss About My Job”:
5. Reading – I’ve been known to read a book a week during my commute. Well, before Angry Birds came out anyway. I won’t be doing as much reading now as I’ll need to pay attention to the road. Don’t worry Nook, we’re still friends.
4. Fenway Restaurants – There are a lot of unique restaurants in the Fenway area. I’m really going to miss you Thaitation, UBurger,
Remy’s, and Game On. A special shout out goes to Island Hopper, which is too far to go for lunch, but has my favorite lo mein dish ever. I used to get it once a week in grad school. It’s turned into a special treat, now who knows when I’ll be able to get it? I made Mr. Wonderful promise me that we could go out to dinner in the city sometimes so I can get my favorite dishes.
3. The City – This is kind of bittersweet for me because I hate Boston. Mostly. The one thing that Boston has going for it is that I have a lot of friends here. Or at least, it’s a good meeting point for a lot of my friends. I think nothing of staying late to meet up with former coworkers or classmates to catch up. It’s one of the things I look forward to most in any given month. Meeting up is going to require a new level of planning. I’ll gladly do it, but it’s going to be different now.
2. Healthcare – One of the best things about my job was the organization I work for. Even though I had (arguably) no direct impact on the standard of care here, I feel good about working for a place where lives are saved. The new company has a great mission as well, it’s just not on par with saving lives.
1. The People – I work with some pretty cool people. I think work is one of those situations where you meet people who you never could have met otherwise. Sure, we have some things inherently in common, but for the most part, we wouldn’t know each other if not for this job. There are a lot of faces that I’m going to miss seeing every day.
Epilogue: I went to Remy’s today for my farewell luncheon. They took my favorite Mandarin Orange salad off the menu. YESTERDAY. Forget you Remy’s. You will no longer be missed.